Family departing visit with grandparents in their commuter helicopter

commuter helicopter as imagined in the 1940s

(via paleofuture)

This painting by Alexis V. Lapteff (1905-1991) is titled “Family Departing Visit with Grandparents in their Commuter Helicopter.” It was produced in 1947 and is featured in the Petersen Automotive Museum book, Driving Through Futures Past.

This entry was posted in fragments of the past, objet d'art and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Family departing visit with grandparents in their commuter helicopter

1. Suburban Mum says:

Where do you find these things? I love it!

Hen – hmm, variety of sources. Tumblr is very good for that. Possibly it was this guy, I can’t quite recall now! http://thisisnthappiness.com/
    Tumblr is all about re-blogging one another’s finds and I like how it works.

3. Justin says:

I *love* this sort of thing — 1930-60s views of how things were going to look in “the future”. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (shame that was such a bad movie). Oddly enough, my employer recently built out a new building that is decorated the way the space station was in Stanley Kubrick’s 2001. Down to the hideous orange comfy chairs. I guess they were right about that one, just 9 years off… ;-)

4. Mrs BN says:

Very arty smarty :)

5. mancais says:

Oooh! Want one. There’s a helipad thing at work I could use.

Justin – yeh, I like these old pictures of how the future might look, too. I like the old sci-fi stuff as well.

MrsBN – … thank you!

Mancais – no more parallel parking eh!