Dad and me – 1957

dad and me

Daddy taking a break from the BBQ in West Covina, California, circa 1957. Mother took the picture and you can see her shadow. West Covina was one of the new suburbs east of Los Angeles back in the nifty 50s. Dad was a decorated combat veteran from the Korean War, and used his VA benefits to buy two homes. This was the first. This was a great place. I had wonderful friends and neighbors. My folks have often said this was the best place they have ever lived. Neighbors were friendly and they socialized with each other. There was an air raid siren nearby that went off twice a month as a test. This was the height of the cold war, but what did we know.

(via shorpy.com)

This entry was posted in objet d'art, photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Dad and me – 1957

1. josh says:

I adore this photo! I LOVE seeing Dads be affectionate wiff their songs. So sweeet! I also love his apron. Does it say “Kiss me, I’m never too busy”? Funny!

2. M. M. says:

A very cute photo <3

Josh – yeh, I liked it too. And I loved how it portrayed 1950s West Coast America. That golden age!

MM – yes!

4. deb says:

I was three years old in 1957 in Novato, Calif. My Dad was a pilot in the US Air Force – we also lived in the nifty fifies of suburbia. :-) And you know what, I think I have that oven mitt in my drawer!

I had no idea you lived in the US for a time… no wonder you keep wanting to come back. Any time dude. We in Northern California will welcome you. :-)

Deb – thanks for that! Would be great to meet you and Kandy, like Lula did! I did 2nd year of my university degree in the US (East Coast) but that was very many moons ago (mid 90s). I was in California in 1996, I think it was spring break. I have been back only once, that was 2002. Had hoped in this job I would have got to go to the US but isn’t happening. Another reason I don’t plan to stay too long; the int’l opps I had hoped for haven’t materialised.

Oh, would love to hear about CA in the 50s and 60s! I guess we all tend to look back with rose-tinted glasses, but even so.

6. Enrico says:

What a gorge pic. I love the child holding the oven mitt and especially the father’s hand on the boy’s chest.

Enrico – yeh, is poignant, isn’t it.