The Angel of the North

angel of the north antony gormley newcastle

I have been on a 700 mile road-trip to the north-east of England. A green and pleasant land, far from the madding crowds of London.

I was staying with friends and we saw quite a lot of things, some of which I may blog about separately.

Experiencing the Angel of the North up close was an unplanned highlight. Designed by British artist Antony Gormley and completed in 1998 – I’d always wanted to see it.  There is something powerful and arresting when you witness it. A stark, pagan beautiful and rather gigantic objet d’art. On that windswept hill high up in one of the most northerly parts of England – there is a profundity to it that causes you to stop and pause and think.

angel of the north antony gormley newcastle

It can elicit a quasi-religious reaction. Most cultures throughout history have worshipped icons and totems and statues – false gods. I was reminded of such and felt the echo of something primal.

angel of the north antony gormley newcastle

angel of the north antony gormley newcastle

After Michelangelo’s David, I believe this is the most powerful sculpture I have experienced to date.

angel of the north antony gormley newcastle

All photos taken by me on a budget digital compact and then toned in Lightroom.

This entry was posted in objet d'art, on my travels, photography and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Angel of the North

1. Daphne says:

Love the photos! And I’m a fan of the Angel of the North too. Powerful yet unpretentious. Hurrah!

2. Rattling On says:

I recently drove my husband up there so he could ‘do’ Hadriaan’s Wall all the way, then drove to the other end to collect him at the end of the week. I absolutely love this sculpture and seeing it in the flesh (?!) didn’t disappoint. I also love wind turbines. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste but I’d quite happily have one at the end of my garden.

Daphne – yeh, great isn’t it!

RO – the next time I visit those friends in Newcastle I want to do Hadrian’s Wall. Yeh, the sculpture was really quite something I thought. I didn’t mind the wind turbines. There were certainly quite a lot of them! Don’t really see them down here.

4. Lula says:

I loved Hadrian’s Wall and I was completely fascinated by the Angel of the North! When it loomed up next to the motorway I shrieked. It was Jeni who first introduced me to this amazing sculpture.

How was Sebastian’s home?

5. Mancais says:

I saw the title of the entry and wondered why you were blogging about me. And then I saw the photos ;)
    It certainly is very impressive. We called in on our way to a football match a few years ago.

6. Very nice photos, though not quite sure Gateshead classifies as ‘green and pleasant land’ ;)

Lula – his home was great! Will blog about it soon. I can’t recall whether you saw it yourself when you were over?

Mancais – haha! Yeh, is well worth stopping to look at.

Richard – thanks! Well, compared to the maelstrom and madhouse that I often think is London – the northeast felt like a breath of fresh air. Plus you have that lovely coastline!

8. Lula says:

No, we didn’t and I’m very sorry about it too! But Chatsworth was amazing enough.

Lula – I bet it was! Have always wanted to go myself.